Studies on homeopathy
This page is still empty or containing little text and waiting for your contribution. It has already been created as a page to make it easier to start writing and to indicate that contributions about this issue are desired. If you wish to contribute, please go the following four steps: 1. register (click on top right link on this page to do so), 2. write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to tell that you have done so and to be given editing rights, 3. click on one of the below headings to edit that page or choose one from the Contents page or create a new page (how to, see here).# 4. on that page click on "edit" in the top menu and the page will open to show a word processing version - Thank you for supporting this project. If you need help or explanations please see our Processing aids or Help in the menu on the left, or write an email.
Research (small sample, taken from hpathy.com)
Below are many blind and double blind studies published in respected peer reviewed journals such as Lancet, British Medical Journal, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.
British Medical Journal 302-(Feb 1991 ):316-323 Kleignen, J et al-Clinical Trials of Homeopathy- Published review of 105 clinical trials with homeopathic remedies. Eighty one demonstrated effectiveness.
Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital- 1986-Homeopathic remedies proved 6 times as effective in controlling asthma as did placebo.
French Study-Cahrs de Biotherapie 94 (April 1987) 77-81-Double blind –Caulophyllum– Difficult deliveries–Remedy reduced labor time and decreased decreased abnormal labor. Labor time 5.1 hrs average in treated grp. but 8.5 hrs in placebo grp. Also, 11.3% of treated grp had abnormal labor compared with 40% for placebo group. Research cont…
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology-9 (May 1980):453-459- Gibson, R.G. et al-Homeopathic Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthiritis-Double blind– 82% of patients experienced some relief compared with 21% for placebo.
Shipley M. et al. -Controlled trial of Homeopathic treatment of Osteoarthritis- Lancet -1 (1983) 97-98.
British Homeopathic J.-74 (July 1985) 168-174- Homeopathic remedies inhibited viral growth in chick embryos from 50-100% depending on potency used.
J. of Pediatrics- Diarrhea-Nicaragua- Remedies show effectiveness in relieving diarrhea in children. Controlled study.
Albertini , H. et al. Homeopathic Treatment of Neuralgia Using Arnica & Hypericum: Summary of 60 observations – J. of American Institute of Hom.-78(Sept.’85) 126-128 -. 76% of those given Arnica and Hypericum experienced pain relief.
German Pharmacological Journal (Arzneim. Forsch/Drug Res., 34 (1984):1791-98- HomeopathicCombination formula reduced vertigo and nausea.
Jacque Benveniste- INSERM-(French equivalent of NIH) -1988- Demonstrated after 4 yrs research, that homeopathic potencies of Anti-IGE had biological effects at dilutions of 30c and 120c. (serum protein anti-body)
Journal of Holistic Medicine- 5 (Fall/Winter ’83)-172-75 and J. of Amer. Inst. of Hom. 61(Nov/Dec. 68): 197-212 : Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Study showed that all 23 different Hom. remedies and potencies tested had distinctive readings of submolecular activity, while placebos did not.
Homeopathy-(London 1975 W.H. Allen ), 124-125: Survey of English factory and office workers. Grp treated with hom. nosode influenzium: 6.5% got flu. In untreated grp, 19.7 got flu. Untreated group lost 8.5 times more working days.
J. Amer. Inst. of Hom. 48, #11 (Nov. 1955):327-35- Dilutions of NaCl up to 10-'60'
showed differences in capacitance from distilled water.
1931 Paterson & Boyd – Schick test – registers immunity after administration of high potency nosode Diptherinum.
1930’s – W.Persson- and W. Boyd 1954- rate of fermentation of starch by ptyalin and diastase is influenced by high potencies of mercuric chloride.
Reilly, D.T. et al- Is Hom. a Placebo Response?-: Controlled trial of Hom. Potency with Pollen in Hayfever as Model. Lancet 2 No. 8512 (Oct. 1986) : 881-886.
Gerhard,W.The Biological treatment of Migraines, Based on Experience- Biological therapy 5 no. 3 (June 1988) 67-71.
Research on homeopathy’s effectiveness for specific pathologies:
1. British Homeopathic J.-74 (July 1985) 168-174- Homeopathic remedies inhibited viral growth in chick embryos from 50-100% depending on potency used.
2. 1930’s – W.Persson- and W. Boyd 1954- rate of fermentation of starch by ptyalin and diastase is influenced by high potencies of mercuric chloride.
3. Endler, P.C., Pongratz, W., van Wijk, R., Kastberger, G., Haidvogl, M. Effects of Highly Diluted Succussed Thyroxin on Metamorphosis of Highland Frogs. Berlin J Res Hom 1991; 1: 151-160.
Welles, S.U., Suanjak-Traidl, E., Weber, S., Scherer-Pongratz, W., Frass, M., Endler, P.C.,
Spranger, H., Lothaller, H. Pretreatment with thyroxine (10e-8) and the effect of homeopathically prepared thyroxin (10-30) on highland frogs – a multi-researcher study. Res Compl Med / Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed 2007; 14: 353-357.
4. Betti L., Brizzi M., Nani D., Peruzzi M., Effect of high dilutions of Arsenicum album on wheat seedlings from seed poisoned with the same substance, Br Hom J 1997; 86: 86-89.
Brizzi M., Lazzarato L., Nani D., Borghini F., Peruzzi M., Betti L., A Biostatistical Insight into the As2O3 High Dilution Effects on the Rate and Variability of Wheat Seedling Growth. Res Compl Med / Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed 2005; 12: 277-83.
Binder M., Baumgartner S., Thurneysen A., The Effects of a 45x Potency of Arsenicum album on Wheat Seedling Growth – a Reproduction Trial, Res Compl Med / Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed 2005;12: 284-291.
Ramachandran C, Nair PK, ClÃ¨ment RT, Melnick SJ. Investigation of cytokine expression in human leukocyte cultures with two immune-modulatory homeopathic preparations. J Altern Complement Med 2007; 13: 403-407.
de Oliveira CC, de Oliveira SM, Goes VM, Probst CM, Krieger MA, Buchi DD. Gene expression profiling of macrophages following mice treatment with an immunomodulator medication. J Cell Biochem 2008; 104: 1364-1377.
Smit E, Pretorius E, Anderson R, Oommen J, Potjo M. Differentiation of human monocytes in vitro following exposure to Canova in the absence of cytokines. Ultrastruct Pathol 2008; 32: 147-152.
Endler, P.C., Pongratz, W., van Wijk, R., Kastberger, G., Haidvogl, M. Effects of Highly Diluted Succussed Thyroxin on Metamorphosis of Highland Frogs. Berlin J Res Hom 1991; 1: 151-160.
Welles, S.U., Suanjak-Traidl, E., Weber, S., Scherer-Pongratz, W., Frass, M., Endler, P.C., Spranger, H., Lothaller, H. Pretreatment with thyroxine (10e-8) and the effect of homeopathically prepared thyroxin (10-30) on highland frogs – a multi-researcher study. Res Compl Med / Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed 2007; 14: 353-357.
Guedes J. R. P., Ferreira C. M., Guimaraes H. M. B., Saldiva P. H. N., Capelozzi V. L. Homeopathically prepared dilution of Rana catesbeiana thyroid glands modifies its rate of metamorphosis. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 132-137.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Frass, M, Dielacher, C, Linkesch, M, et al.Influence of potassium dichromate on tracheal secretions in critically ill patients, Chest, March, 2005;127:936-941. The journal, Chest, is the official publication of the American College of Chest Physicians.
- Hayfever: Reilly D, Taylor M, McSharry C, et al.,Is homoeopathy a placebo response? controlled trial of homoeopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as model," Lancet, October 18, 1986, ii: 881-6.
- Asthma: Reilly, D, Taylor, M, Beattie, N, et al., "Is Evidence for Homoeopathy Reproducible?" Lancet, December 10, 1994, 344:1601-6.
- Fibromyalgia: Bell IR, Lewis II DA, Brooks AJ, et al.Improved clinical status in fibromyalgia patients treated with individualized homeopathic remedies versus placebo, Rheumatology. 2004:1111-5. This journal is the official journal of the British Society of Rheumatology.
- Fibromyalgia: Fisher P, Greenwood A, Huskisson EC, et al., "Effect of Homoeopathic Treatment on Fibrositis (Primary Fibromyalgia)," BMJ, 299(August 5, 1989):365-6.
- Childhood diarrhea: Jacobs, J, Jimenez, LM, Gloyd, SS,Treatment of Acute Childhood Diarrhea with Homeopathic Medicine: A Randomized Double-blind Controlled Study in Nicaragua, Pediatrics, May, 1994,93,5:719-25.
- ADD/ADHD: Frei, H, Everts R, von Ammon K, Kaufmann F, Walther D, Hsu-Schmitz SF, Collenberg M, Fuhrer K, Hassink R, Steinlin M, Thurneysen A. Homeopathic treatment of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled crossover trial. Eur J Pediatr., July 27,2005,164:758-767.
- Linde L, Clausius N, Ramirez G, Jonas W, "Are the Clinical Effects of Homoeopathy Placebo Effects? A Meta-analysis of Placebo-Controlled Trials,"Lancet, September 20, 1997, 350:834-843. Although a later review by some of these authors found a reduced significance, the authors never asserted that the significance was no longer present. Further, two of the lead authors of this article provided a very sharp critique of the Shang, et al. review of research (2005). Also, both Linde and Jonas wrote to the Lancet after the Shang/Egger article was published and asserted that the Lancet should be "embarrassed" by their publication of this article and the accompanied editorial (Lancet, 366 December 17, 2005:2081-2).
- Kleijnen J, Knipschild P ter Riet G. Clinical trials of homoeopathy. BMJ 1991, 302, 316-23. Of the 22 best studies, 15 showed positive results from homeopathic treatment. The researchers concluded, "there is a legitimate case for further evaluation of homeopathy."
- Jacobs J, Jonas WB, Jimenez-Perez M, Crothers D,Homeopathy for Childhood Diarrhea: Combined Results and Metaanalysis from Three Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trials, Pediatr Infect Dis J, 2003;22:229-34. This metaanalysis of 242 children showed a highly significant result in the duration of childhood diarrhea (P=0.008).
- Kassab S, Cummings M, Berkovitz S, van Haselen R, Fisher P.Homeopathic medicines for adverse effects of cancer treatments. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 2.
- Taylor, MA, Reilly, D, Llewellyn-Jones, RH, et al., Randomised controlled trial of homoeopathy versus placebo in perennial allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial Series,BMJ, August 19, 2000, 321:471-476. The BMJ published an editorial in the issue in which this study was published asserting, "It may be time to confront the conclusion that homeopathy and placebo differ...... This may be more plausible than the conclusion that their trials have produced serial false positive results" (This week in the BMJ. Homoeopathic dilutions may be better than placebo. BMJ 2000;321:0).
- Jonas, WB, Linde, Klaus, and Ramirez, Gilbert, "Homeopathy and Rheumatic Disease," Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, February 2000,1:117-123.
- Brain injury (Chapman EH 1999);
- Bronchitis (Diefenbach M 1999);
- Childhood diarrhea (Jacobs J, 2003; 1993; 1994; 2000; 2006);
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (Weatherley-Jones E 2004);
- Common cold (Maiwald VL 1988);
- Depression (Adler UC 2009);
- Extended sports recovery time (Egocheaga Rodriguez J 2000);
- Fibromyalgia (Bell IR 2004; Fisher P 1989; Perry R 2010; Relton C 2009);
- Immune function (Kuzeff RM 1998); Influenza (Vickers A 2006; Attena F 1995; Brydak LB 1999; Ferley JP 1989; Papp R 1998);
- Insomnia (Bell IR 2010; Brooks AJ 2010; Carlini EA 1987; Naudé DF 2010);
- Low back pain (Gmünder R 2002; Stam C 2001);
- Otitis media (Jacobs J 2001; Taylor JA 2011);
- Perennial allergic rhinitis (Taylor MA 2000); Plantar fascitis (Clark J 2000);
- Post-operative ileus (Barnes J 1997);
- Post-operative edema (Totonchi A 2007);
- Post-operative wound healing (Karow J-H 2008);
- Postpartum bleeding (Oberbaum M 2005);
- Postpartum lactation (Berrebi A 2001);
- Premenstrual syndrome (Yakir M 2001);
- Psoriasis (Bernstein S 2006; Wiesenauer M 1996);
- Radiodermatitis (Balzarini A 2000);
- Renal failure (Saruggia M 1992);
- Rheumatic diseases (Jonas WB 2000);
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis (Wiesenauer M 1996; Taylor MA 2006; Ernst E 2011; Aabel S 2000; Aabel S 2000; Aabel S 2001; Kim LS 2005; Reilly DT 1986; Weiser M 1999; Wiesenauer M 1 985; Wiesenauer M 1990; Wiesenauer M 1995);
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis (Smith SA 2002);
- Sepsis (Frass M 2005);
- Sinusitis (Friese K; 2007; Zabolotnyi D I 2007; Wiesenauer M 1989); Snoring (Lipman D 1999);
- Stomatitis (Oberbaum M 2001);
- Tracheal secretions (Frass M 2005);
- Upper respiratory tract infections, including otitis media (Bellavite P 2006; Bornhöft G 2006);
- Uraemic pruritus (Cavalcanti AM 2003);
- Varicose veins (Ernst E 1990);
- Vertigo (Schneider B 2005; Issing W 2005; Weiser M 1998).
For further information on research related to homeopathy, please look at the Homeopathy Research section.